Listen to Voice FM

Home » Local News » What should you do if you find injured wildlife?

What should you do if you find injured wildlife?

What would you do if you found an injured native animal? While it might seem like a nice idea to take it home and care for it, the right thing to do is contact an authorised wildlife shelter.

Department of Land, Environment, Water and Planning (DELWP) Regional Manager Environmental Compliance, Grant Allan said: “Sick or injured native wildlife needs specialised care by trained carers”.

“Across Victoria, there are volunteer wildlife shelter operators and carers who are authorised by DELWP to provide appropriate handling, feeding and housing as well as rehabilitation”, Mr Allan said.

“If you do find an injured animal, approach with caution, keep physical interaction to a minimum and contact an authorised wildlife shelter immediately.

“Call DELWP on 136 186 for details of wildlife carers or check our website for a list of rehabilitation organisations.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: