On Wednesday 25 April, Ballarat will gather to honour the nation’s servicemen and women at ANZAC Day services around the municipality to mark the 103rd anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli.
Thousands of people are expected to gather to pay tribute to and remember those who have served at the following services:
• 5.45am Dawn Service at the Ballarat Cenotaph in Sturt Street, followed by Gunfire Breakfast at Ballarat RSL, Midlands Golf Club until 9.30am
• 8am Wreath laying service at the Ballarat Arch of Victory
• 8.45am March from the Sebastopol Post Office, Albert Street
• 9am Commemorative Service at the Sebastopol Cenotaph, Albert Street
• 9am Ex-Prisoner of War Memorial wreath laying service
• 10am Wreath laying service at the Miners Rest Cenotaph in Howe Street, Miners Rest
• 10.15am Commemorative Service from the Buninyong RSL, Learmonth Street
• 10.30am ANZAC Day March, from Lyons Street South to Ballarat Cenotaph
• 11am Commemorative Service at the Ballarat Cenotaph, followed by refreshments and Two-Up from 1pm at Midlands Golf Club.
Ballarat residents attending these services are advised a number of traffic alterations will be in place for the safety of pedestrians and road users.
In preparation of the ANZAC Day services, the inside lane of Sturt Street between Lyons Street and Dawson Street will be closed on the eastbound side from 1pm Tuesday 24 April until 5pm Wednesday 25 April.
On Wednesday 25 April, Sturt Street will be closed from Dawson Street to Raglan Street in both directions to all traffic from 4.30am to 5pm.
During this closure, the following additional roads will be impacted:
• Lyons Street South will be closed between Dana Street and Sturt Street
• Lyons Street North, between Sturt Street and Mair Street, will permit access for local traffic only.
Traffic detours will be in place along Dana Street and Mair Street.
The ANZAC Day March will form up on Lyons Street South from 9.30am and progress westbound into Sturt Street and up to Raglan Street, it will then head eastbound down to Creswick Road (A300) and return along Sturt Street (westbound) to the Ballarat Cenotaph at the Lyons Street intersection.
Sturt Street and all intersecting streets will be progressively closed from Raglan Street to Creswick Road from 10.15am and will re-open as soon as the March passes.
Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the landing on Gallipoli in 1915.
In 2018, Sunday 11 November marks the 100th anniversary of the Armistice which ended the First World War (1914–18).
For more information on ANZAC Day services or to view the program please contact the Ballarat RSL on (03) 5332 3300 or visit ballaratrsl.com.au